Friday, January 21, 2011

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane...

Well, I figure there is no better time than the present to start a travel blog. As it turns out I’m currently sitting at the airport in Atlanta waiting for my flight to Tel Aviv. I’ll be gone for six months while I live in Nazareth and explore Israel!

A lot of people have asked me over the last few months if I’m scared and the simple answer is no. Maybe it’s just because I’m naïve, but I truly feel like I’ve been led to this moment, and what do have I to be scared about? I know that most people think automatically of physical well-being when they ask the question, but the question of physical harm has long been put to rest for me. I came to some sort of understanding when I first explored Hebrews 2:14-15 which states:
Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death.
It is with this promise that I truly believe that death has been defeated, and if that is the case what do I have to fear? I’m no longer obligated to live as a slave fearing what physical harm and death may bring, rather I live as one who is free in the resurrection of the Christ.

I suppose if anything I fear my spiritual well being, I feel solid in my faith but I know that a long time away from home can do wonders. I’ve never been out of the country for longer than two weeks and every time I’m ready to be home. I suppose it’s because as the blog title suggests, I’m a spoiled American. I like to think that maybe that’s not the case but there is no denying it. I use to hide behind this fact, thinking it was an excuse not to exit my comfort zone, that somehow having this knowledge was a way to avoid really stepping out on faith. In the end I find it to be a conviction not an excuse. Despite my shortcomings I know that God is going to work wonders over the next few months and I’m ready for the journey. Well the flight is boarding so here we go!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Bryan....You're in my prayers! Love that you've started a blog and can't wait to follow!
    Tammy Blain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy, I need all the prayers I can get!

    ReplyDelete